Porus was founded in 1840 by the missionary James Phillippo as a free village for ex-slaves following emancipation. It was his sixth such village. It was originally called Vale Lionel after the then Governor of Jamaica, Sir Lionel Smith, but was soon renamed “Porous” most probably after the porous soil in the vicinity. In its early days, its population was very small although it boasted a large coffee market. It is now a thriving community of predominantly small farmers and artisans.